The wattlebird jumpsuit is basically the perfect item of clothing for me. I wear a lot of jumpsuits all year round so really wanted a nice summery one to wear when it’s super hot. This linen wattlebird is lovely as it’s so loose and light.

I made this up in a mid weight green linen from The Fabric Store. It’s such a gorgeous fabric to wear and work with and I think I’ll be back to get some more.

I bought the wattlebird as a PDF but went to get it printed at the copyshop. I’ve never done this before but for a pattern with large pattern pieces this was a huge time saver. Assembling large PDF patterns is never super exciting so it was nice to miss this part of the process. This also made the large pieces a little more sturdy and easy to use. I will be doing this again for patterns with large pieces.

I really love the style of this jumpsuit but found I had to make a couple of modifications to the pattern in order to make it fit nicer.   I found overall the fit to be too large and have seen many others sewists who found the same. I’d size down from the given measurement to avoid this. As with my wattlebird top I had to insert some vertical pleats as the width of the top was too large and gapey. I also ended up taking about an inch out of either side as the arm hole was very wide. I also found that due to the binding being cut on the straight grain it does tend to sit out a little under the arm. This decision was made by Common Stitch in order to save fabric which is understandable as it is a long piece. I would however maybe consider cutting on the bias next time so that the binding sits a little nicer along the curves.

Some things I also would have loved in this pattern would be an inner leg seam measurement and marks to put back straps. I think these would have eliminated some guesswork out of the project. I did find the legs to be too long for my height and preference. However, I do really like the look of these cuffed so am happy I cut longer than I needed. To do the cuffs I just turned the fabric up twice and tacked where needed.

I did like the construction method of sewing the front and back pants to the respective bodice and then completing the pants. I was a little less complicated and twisty than my usual method which is to make the pants and bodice separately.

This is my second iteration of the wattlebird jumpsuit pattern and I’m sure it will not be my last. Now that I’ve worked out how I like this pattern to sit for my body I have plans for a few more versions. This jumpsuit has gotten lots of wear since I made it 6 months ago (and only just got around to photographing it eyy). In the warmer weather  it sits so nice and cool away from the body, and in the cooler weather with a long sleeve top underneath it is just as comfy. I really try to wear my makes as much as possible so it’s good to be able to wear this all year round.

Pattern – Common Stitch wattlebird jumpsuit

Fabric- Mid weight linen from The Fabric Store