These shorts are the perfect make to help expand the diversity in my summer wardrobe. I wear a lot of blue shorts ,skirts and dresses in summer so it’s nice to inject some more colour into my clothes and have a change from my usual style.

This is the second Common Stitch pattern I’ve made now and I’ve really enjoyed the simplicity of their designs. Sometimes I find with simple designs that I make them too quickly and then don’t enjoy the process of making and wearing them as much. Neither the wattlebird jumpsuit, which I made as a top here, or these shorts took a long time to make but they are so easy to wear and have a few nice details that make them feel rewarding anyway. I do however wish there were some notches on the patterns for pattern matching purposes and a lengthen/shorten line to make modifications easier.

The shorts are made in this cotton/canvas blend from The Fabric Store. This is much heavier and stiffer than is recommended by the pattern. I was a little worried during the making that this would make the shorts sit funny. It was a little difficult to sew parts of the elastic casing and pockets due to the stiffness, next time I’ll make these in a softer fabric. However, the fabric did soften with a little bit of wear and washing.

I’m a little impressed by myself that I matched the stripes at the crotch seam. I’ve never really tried to pattern match before but realised its not nearly as complicated as I thought, so that maybe something I’ll add into future projects.

Pattern – Bellbird Shorts, Common Stitch Patterns

Fabric – Multi Stripe Cotton Canvas, The Fabric Store

I’ve been wanting a pair of high waisted paper bag shorts for a while and when I found this free pattern in Peppermint magazine I knew I had to make some.  I was excited to be making shorts as I don’t often sew bottoms, making a lot of tops and dresses, and they have huge  pockets and shorts should not exist without pockets. 

I followed the pattern perfectly and made no changes, apart from not adding in the drawstring at the end and leaving the elasticated waistband as is.  I did add the button holes for the drawstring before I made this decision so there are button holes in the front of my shorts but they are mostly hidden. I hadn’t sewed with a pattern for a while so really enjoyed this sew as no guesswork was involved. The PDF pattern was also super easy to put together as the gridlines on each pieces offered multiple points on each page that joined together. This meant that for the first time when I had taped all the paper together it lay completely flat. Normally I end up with lots of bumps where the pages don’t quite match up at the end. I also really like the inclusion of hem band which made the hemming super easy and simple with no pinning, measuring and folding like is normally needed for a hem which if often why I procrastinate doing them. 

I really like this style as it’s just a tad more dressed up than my usual denim shorts and the elasticated waist and baggy style make them super comfy to wear.  I’m sure these will get a lot of use of them for the rest of summer.

 

Pattern – Drawstring Shorts – Pattern Runway for Peppermint Magazine

Fabric  –  Navy Linen from the Fabric Store