For me I find the most exciting part of a costume party is the brain storming and creating a costume. With Halloween just around the corner here is the the costume I made last year – the evil Queen of the Forest.   As I was studying in year 12 last year, and halloween fell just prior to my final exams, I had very little time to dedicate to making a costume. This costume was quick and easy and the perfect study break project. This costume had three elements, a black dress out of the wardrobe,  a black cape I sewed  and the crown I made. 

For the crown I first found this blog post with a similar idea and based mine off this. This project was great as it is  unique and worked really well for the costume. I followed the steps detailed by Jessica Andersdotter and then added some small black hair elastics to the sides of the crown and placed bobby pins through them so that I had a way of securing the crown to my head throughout the entire night.

For the cape I adapted this pattern using fleece for the body, hood and lining and a wide ribbon for the closure. The thick fleece was a little bit of a pain to work with as the seams were so bulky but the warmth was needed for the Melbourne weather, that always unpredictable around October. I used the basic idea and construction to then make exactly what I wanted. I modified the hood so it was less drapey and to reduce bulk as I used a heavy fleece. To do this I just rounded off the point at the top of the hood so it was more fitted to my head. I also shortened the cape section to make it about a mid length. I made two of these to match with a friend and it took about a day to complete both.

Happy Halloween!

Cape

Fabric- Spotlight Fleece

Pattern- modified from this

Crown 

Instructions here

Materials- twigs from my backyard and other materials from Spotlight